File a complaint: 800-726-7390 or online

Contact information for major auto and homeowners insurers in Missouri:

What to do if your property is damaged:

  • Contact your insurance agent or your insurance company's toll-free claims number as soon as possible. Some insurance companies set up mobile claims units with staff in areas hit hard by storms.
  • Make temporary repairs needed to prevent further damage. For example, a hole in the roof should be covered by a tarp or other material to keep rain out. Same goes for a broken car window. Otherwise, further damage will likely not be covered by insurance. Keep receipts for materials you buy so you can be reimbursed.
  • Don't make permanent repairs until your insurance company has inspected the damage. If you do, your claim might be denied.
  • Don't let contractors inspect your home if you're not watching. Some unscrupulous companies will cause damage to drive up the repair cost, and your insurance company will likely not cover the additional cost.
  • Your insurance company should send its adjuster to your property. Make sure the adjuster has identification. Please remember that insurance companies pay the adjusters and you should not be asked for any payment.
  • If you believe your insurance company has not handled your claim properly, file a complaint. We will determine whether your insurance company has followed Missouri law in processing your claim.
  • Once your claim is processed, get estimates from contractors or auto repair shops known to you or recommended by someone you trust. Be suspicious of solicitors who offer to do repairs for you.
  • Don't pay the whole repair bill in advance. Pay in full only when the work is completed according to your agreement.
  • A "public adjuster" - a person licensed by the state - may offer to represent you in claim negotiations with your insurer. Public adjusters will seek part of your settlement as payment for their services. You are not required to hire a public adjuster to file a claim. Generally speaking, consider hiring a public adjuster only after your insurer makes a settlement offer and when you anticipate any settlement increase obtained by the public adjuster will exceed the extra cost.

How can we help with your claim?

Because we license agents and insurers, we can help resolve many disputes about contract language and state legal requirements on coverage. On average, we help policyholders collect more than $8 million each year in additional claims from their insurers. For policies like homeowners, four out of every 10 complainants gets additional financial relief.