If you file a complaint against an insurance company, DCI will contact the company to determine whether it is acting in good faith. The department will then report its findings to you. Generally, claims against an insurance company based upon your allegation that its policyholder was negligent and caused an automobile accident are not within the jurisdiction of DCI. The department does not have the authority to force payment.

If a particular insurance company repeatedly demonstrates bad faith, the department can ask for suspension or revocation of its license to do business in Missouri.

If an insurance company refuses to pay, you may consult with an attorney, or if the claim is under $3,000, go to a small claims court. Obtain information on small claims court from the associate circuit court in your county.