August 26, 2014

Missouri Department of Insurance to be in Ferguson Wednesday (Aug. 27) to help businesses with insurance needs

Department representatives will assist businesses filing insurance claims and answer questions about the claims process

Jefferson City, Mo. - The Missouri Department of Insurance is working with business owners in Ferguson who sustained property damage to file claims. Representatives from the department will be on-site in Ferguson on Wednesday to visit impacted business owners and answer insurance questions. Policyholders can schedule an appointment to meet with a department representative by calling 800-726-7390.

"We are encouraging owners of damaged businesses to contact their insurance agent or company now, if they haven't done so already," said department Director John M. Huff. "We're coming to Ferguson this week to follow up with policyholders to make sure they're getting what they need from their insurance carriers so that the community can move forward with its recovery."

If businesses have already attempted to file a claim with their insurance company, but have not heard from an adjuster yet, policyholders can contact the department's Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-726-7390 or visit

The department is also working with the Recovery St. Louis Coalition to disseminate information to impacted business owners. The coalition can be reached at 314-206-3235 or at

The Department of Insurance offers these tips for impacted business owners:

  • Contact your insurance agent's or company's toll-free claims number as soon as possible.
  • If you have lost your company's contact information, the department may be able to help you locate it. Contact the department at or by calling 800-726-7390.
  • If your business suffered physical damage, make temporary repairs to prevent further damage. For example, a broken window should be boarded up to keep out rain. Otherwise, further damage will likely not be covered by your insurance policy. Keep the receipts for materials you buy so you can be reimbursed.
  • If your business suffered a financial loss because it was forced to close, ask if your policy includes business income coverage.
  • If you file a business income claim, you will need business records to prove the amount of your financial loss. Some records you may be asked for:
    • Historical sales records.
    • Income and expense information and income tax forms.
    • Receipts/records for damaged inventory, including photographs.
    • Other records or data to project what your business would have made during its closure.
    • Make sure you keep receipts and records for any costs you incur to produce or reproduce these financial records. These expenses may be covered under the "extra expense" coverage.
  • If you believe your insurance company has not handled your claim properly, file a complaint with the department. The department will determine whether your insurance company has followed Missouri law in processing your claim.

Business owners can refer to the department's "Small Business Insurance" Web page, which offers information on commercial property, business interruption insurance and more.