Insurance Public Reports
The Statistics Section collects information, maintains databases, and publishes reports on the insurance markets in Missouri. The section aims to facilitate the flow of insurance market information for consumers, insurance companies and departmental staff and to monitor the availability and affordability of insurance coverage in Missouri.
In addition, the staff also provides professional assistance on economic and statistical analysis for the department.
Insurance Reports Available
The Missouri Department of Commerce & Insurance issues a series of annual reports and statistical studies that cover recent insurance regulatory developments and analyze trends in lines of business.
- Complaint Index Report (Summary)
- Complaints filed against Missouri insurers during the past three years. Companies are categorized by line of business and type of complaint. Company performance is compared to the Missouri industry average.
- Market data for the top 35 firms and insurance groups and insurance groups, including historical trends, for each line of business.
- Homeowners Insurance Report
- ZIP Code-level premium and loss data for homeowners insurance in Missouri. Data is presented by demographic groups and geographic regions for the decade ending in the latest data year.
- Private Passenger Automobile Report (Summary)
- 10 years of ZIP Code-level premium and loss data.
- HMO Report
- HMO data from the annual financial statements, such as premiums earned and costs incurred for health related services. It also includes enrollment data, including enrollment for specified regions of the state. Back issues from 1987 through 2001 are available. Please contact the Managed Care Section for this report.
- Medical Malpractice Report
- Aggregate claims for the three years before the report. Includes information on claim frequency, loss ratios by company, by type of insured, average dollar settlements, litigated claims, average time to close claims and other trends in medical malpractice.
- Real Estate Malpractice Report
- A 10-year summary by area of real estate for filed claims, major activity responsible for alleged error or omission, most significant reasons for claims, years of real estate experience for the insured and relationship of the insured to the claimant.
- Legal Malpractice Report
- 10 years of data presented by area of law for the insured, major activity responsible for alleged error or omission, most significant reasons for claims, legal disposition of claims, number of years in practice by insureds and relationship of insured to the claimant.
- Product Liability Report
- Aggregate claims analysis incorporating three years of data. Included are indemnity paid per claim, average loss expense, average initial reserve, average time to close claims, business classification loss experience, product indemnity analysis and resolution and expense of litigated claims.
- Life, Accident & Health Supplement Data Report
- Information on all life and non-HMO health insurers, health service corporations and fraternal companies licensed to operate in Missouri. The data include detailed financial and premium information by company, by line of business, market share, life insurance in force and health benefits ratios.
- Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Report
- Reports data from the most recent year and for more than two decades for both residential and commercial lines of mortgage guaranty insurance. The data includes earned premium by company, losses paid, outstanding claim reserves, IBNR reserves, contingency reserves, loaded loss ratios and true loss ratios.
- Property & Casualty Supplement Data Report
- Data on written premium, loss ratios, and other information for all property and casualty insurers licensed in Missouri for all major lines of business.
- Insurance Annual Report
- Outlines the agency's organizational structure, summarizes major activities for the year, lists companies licensed to do business in Missouri and domiciled in the state as well as addresses and telephone contacts; and provides financial information on all admitted companies.
The section also maintains these databases:
- Missouri Zip Code Insurance Data for Homeowners/Dwelling Fire, Farmowners, Mobile Home, Earthquake and Private Passenger Automobile
- Missouri law requires insurers writing personal lines insurance to file data by zip code, including exposures written, premium written, loss paid count and losses paid. Data is collected on an annual basis.
- Medicare Supplement Experience Data
- Since 1982, companies writing Medicare supplement insurance have reported their experience by policy number. Included are annual premium and loss experiences.
- Commercial Liability Experience Data
- Provides information on companies writing commercial liability insurance, including a profitability report and a summary of the claims, closed and outstanding, for specific commercial lines of insurance.
Insurance compiles a sophisticated database of Zip Code information on premium sales, losses and exposures, based on company reports. Aggregate data (non-company specific) is available.
Homeowners Zip Code Data (1987-present)
Mobile Home Zip Code Data (1993-present)
Farm Owners Zip Code Data (1993-present)
Earthquake Zip Code Data (1993-present)
Automobile Zip Code Data (1987-present)
|Loss||Number of Losses