Certificate of Authority

State-Specific Financial Filing Requirements

Capital and Surplus Requirements

HMO Network Access Plans

Missouri is a "uniform state" and uses the UCAA Expansion application.

How do I apply for a certificate of authority for a foreign life and health, property and casualty, title or fraternal insurance company? Besides the UCAA Expansion application, Missouri requires the following:

  • $1,000 filing fee.
  • All policy forms that your company proposes to use in Missouri. Life, accident and health policy forms must be completed in "John Doe” manner.  
  • A letter from the insurance commissioner of your company's domicile state stating that "according to his/her records, your company is prompt and equitable in its loss payments to policyholders and payments are in accordance with policy provisions."
  • A narrative description of the history of your company.   
  • Explanation of any unique assets, liabilities or operating aspects of your company.
  • Please provide details if your company is presently engaged in a controversy with any state or federal regulatory agency OR any formal or informal hearings.

How do I apply for a certificate of authority for foreign HMO?

In addition to the UCAA Expansion application, Missouri requires the following:

  • Copy of any contract made to or to be made between any providers and persons responsible for the conduct of the affairs of the applicant.
  • Copy of the form of evidence of coverage to be issued to the enrollees, 354.430, RSMo.
  • Copy of the form of the group contract, if any, which is to be issued to employers, unions, trustees or other organizations.
  • Description of the geographic area or areas to be served (specify by county).
  • Description of the complaints’ procedures to be utilized in compliance with 376.1378, RSMo.
  • Description of the mechanism by which enrollees will be afforded an opportunity to participate in matters of policy and operation.
  • Copies of all contracts of reinsurance.
  • Proof of fidelity bond on officers and employees in an amount not less than $100,000.
  • Admission fee of $1,000 for a Missouri domestic HMO and admission fee of $1,000 for a foreign HMO.
  • Access Plan as set forth in 354.603, RSMo, for network adequacy ( please provide a hard copy).

How do I apply for a certificate of authority for a prepaid dental?

In addition to the UCAA Amendments application, Missouri requires the following:

  • Business Plan must contain:
    • A statement generally describing the prepaid dental plan to be offered and the corporation’s facilities and personnel.
    • Description of the procedures to provide emergency dental benefits.
    • Statement reasonably describing the geographic area to be served.
  • Copy of any contract made to or to be made between any providers and the applicant.
  • Copy of contracts and contract certificates to be issued to the enrollees.
  • Copy of any group enrollee contract which is to be issued.
  • Fee of $200 for issuance of a Certificate of Authority.

How do I file for a redomestication?

In addition to the UCAA Amendments application, Missouri requires the following:

  • Certified copy of certificate of deposit from new state of domicile.
  • $150 filing fee for amending certificate of authority.

How do I file a name change for my insurance company?

In addition to the UCAA Amendments application, Missouri requires the following

  • $150 filing fee.

How do I file my insurance company merger?

In addition to the UCAA Amendments application and supporting documentation, please submit:

  • $150 filing fee.
  • Return of certificate of authority for non-surviving company for cancellation.
  • If both companies are authorized in Missouri before the merger, Form E (Pre-Acquisition Notification Form).

How do I add lines to my certificate of authority?

In addition to the UCAA Amendments application, Missouri requires the following:

  • $150 filing fee
  • Provide proposed policy forms for the new line of authority.
  • Pursuant to RSMo 375.821.1(3), the company must be transacting the lines of business for which it is applying. This will be verified by reviewing the annual and quarterly statements.
  • Certificate of deposit showing at least $1.2 million for single-line P&C company adding lines.

How do I form a Missouri Domestic Insurance Company?

Please refer to 20 CSR 200-17.100.

Have questions about Missouri domestic insurance company formation or amendment? Please contact the admissions specialist at 573-751-4362.

What annual filings do I have to file? When do I have to file them?

Check out our annual filings schedules for details on any line of insurance.

How do I file my insurance company address change?

You can notify us of your insurer address change by letter or email.

Missouri domestic life and P&C insurance companies may also need to modify their articles of incorporation pursuant to 376.060 for stock life insurers, 376.100 for mutual life insurers, 379.035 for stock P&C insurers, and 379.060 for mutual P&C insurers. 

Where do I send these filings?

Send your financial filings to:
Admissions Specialist
Division of Company Regulation
Missouri DCI
PO Box 690
Jefferson City, MO  65101

Capital and Surplus Requirements

Does the certificate of deposit need to be placed in Missouri or the state of domicile?

All companies incorporated in Missouri are required to place the security deposits in Missouri. Companies incorporated in states other than Missouri may either place the deposit in Missouri or in their state of domicile.

What is the time frame for approval?

If the application is complete and the department does not have any questions or concerns regarding the filing, a decision will be made within 90 days of the filing.

Do we require third party biographical certifications?

Yes, all biographicals have to be certified by a third party who are in the business of certifying such documents.

Are fingerprint cards required?

No, fingerprint cards are not required to be filed with the application.

You can email the admissions specialist with your questions about these filings.