What types of licenses are issued?

Insurance Licensing issues producer licenses for the following lines:

  • Life
  • Life, variable contract
  • Accident and health
  • General casualty
  • Property
  • Personal lines
  • Title
  • Restricted to credit (No exam required)
  • Restricted to travel (No exam required)
  • Crop

Business entity producers must be licensed separately from its producers. A business entity producer can only solicit, negotiate or produce insurance contracts through licensed producers.

Please contact the Licensing Section for information on the following licenses:

  • Bail bond agent
  • General bail bond agent
  • Surety recovery agent
  • Surplus lines
  • Public adjuster
  • Public adjuster solicitor
Can I still get a license if I have a criminal conviction?

You are not automatically disqualified from obtaining a license if you have a criminal record.

On the application for a license, there are specific instructions about the information to provide about your criminal record on the conviction.

  • A signed statement describing the circumstances surrounding your arrest, the charges and the conviction.
  • Provide a certified copy of the Indictment or Information and the Judgment and Sentencing documents that show the disposition of each criminal charge.
  • Submit complete information with your application.
How do I apply to take an examination?

Contact Pearson VUE for the Licensing Information Bulletin, which contains step-by-step instructions and the examination and license applications.

Pearson VUE
Missouri Insurance
PO Box 8588
Philadelphia, PA  19101-8588

Pearson VUE will notify Insurance of your exam results, but you must apply for your license to Insurance within one year of passing the exam. The exam scores are only valid for one year.

As a veteran, can I be reimbursed for the cost of a licensing exam required by the department?

Yes. Veterans taking a state licensing examination required by the department can be reimbursed for the cost of the exam. Click here to learn more and see which licensing exams are eligible for reimbursement.

I have a license in another state. Do I still have to take an examination?

No. If you hold a resident agent, broker or producer license in another state, you are not required to take an examination for those lines in which you are licensed, with the exception of Title agents. This exemption applies to residents of those states that award licenses to Missouri residents on the same basis.

If you have just moved to Missouri, you will not have to take an exam if you hold a current agent, broker or producer license in another state, or have held a current agent, broker or producer license in another state within the past 90 days, and apply within 90 days of relocating to Missouri.

How do I apply for a producer/business entity producer license or add lines to my current producer license?

Fee may be paid by check or money order, made payable to Department of Commerce & Insurance.

How does an insurance company notify the department of my appointment or termination as an agent?

Insurance companies do not have to notify the department of appointments. Companies are required to maintain an internally updated register of appointed and terminated producers. No fees will be assessed for appointments or terminations. The appointment must be recorded in the company register within thirty days of an insurer authorizing a producer to transact business on its behalf.

Some terminations must be reported to the department. Terminations must be reported in two instances:  1) when the termination is "for cause" or 2) when the termination is the termination of a title agent or agency. Title insurers are required to report all agency terminations, and the reasons for those terminations, to the director within seven calendar days. When the terminated agent and the insurance company are not in the business of title insurance but the termination is "for cause," the department must be notified within 30 days of the termination.

How do I renew my license?

The department will send a renewal notice to you 60 to 90 days before your producer or business entity producer license expires. Your renewal is due on or before the expiration of your license. Licenses will terminate if completed renewal documents are not received by the expiration date.

A maximum late renewal period from date of license expiration has been established at twelve months. A $25 per month penalty fee will be assessed. After twelve months, a license may not be renewed and the previous licensee must apply for a new license.

The renewal fee is $100 for your producer or business entity producer license. Fee may be paid by check or money order, made payable to Department of Commerce & Insurance. Click to renew your license in 3 easy steps.

When will the department terminate my license?

Your producer and business entity producer license will be terminated if your license is not renewed on or before your expiration date.

How can I get my license reinstated after I was terminated?

You must fill out a new producer license application and fulfill all the examination requirements. There is a $100 fee for a producer license.

If your license has terminated due to nonrenewal within the past 12 months, you may late renew your license. See "How do I renew my license?"

If your business entity producer license is terminated, you must request reinstatement by filing a new application and $100 fee. Fee may be paid by check or money order, made payable to Department of Commerce & Insurance

My license got destroyed or lost. How do I print a new one?

Click this link to print your license.

My name or address changed. What do I need to do?

All changes or corrections to your name, address or SSN must be submitted by the producer in writing. Address changes for producers must be made (in writing) within 30 days on the proper form (Form 375-0085). In lieu of written notification of an address change to MO Department of Commerce & Insurance, an electronic address change may be used. If failure to notify Insurance of your producer address change prevents Insurance from serving you with a complaint, your license may be immediately revoked.

How do I meet my continuing education requirements?

All resident and non-resident producers are required to meet the continuing education requirements for Missouri. Non-residents are exempt if their state has a mandatory continuing education law.

Your continuing education summary is due biennially at your license renewal.

Type of license Minimum CE requirement
Life and/or health 16 hours every two years, which must include 3 hours of ethics
Property/casualty/personal lines 16 hours every two years, which must include 3 hours of ethics
Title 8 hours every two years

*** Licensed producers selling Long-term Care Partnership policies must complete four hours of Partnership CE every two years as part of the above required sixteen hours.***

These requirements may be waived if you:

  • Have suffered a serious physical injury or illness.
  • Are on active duty in the Armed Forces for an extended time.
  • Reside outside the U.S.
  • Are 70 or older.
How do I pay my fees?

You may pay your fees with either:

  • Company check.
  • Business entity producer check.
  • Money order.
  • Cashier's check.

Fee may be paid by check or money order, made payable to Department of Commerce & Insurance.

How do I contact the Licensing Section?

We can be reached at:

Missouri Department of Commerce & Insurance
License Section
301 W. High St., Room 530
PO Box 690 (or PO Box 4001 for correspondence with fees)
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0690

Is there a specific statute or regulation that deals with how long an insurance company or agency must retain customer policy and claims' information?

Typical Question:

We are in the process of going paperless.  We have many old files that are for people that are no longer our customers.  Our question is how long do we have to keep the old files, and if they are no longer insured through us do we have to keep the signed applications longer than the rest of the files.


Is there a specific statute in regards to how long an insurance company or insurance agency must retain customer policy information?

Typical Answer:

The regulation that govern record retention is 20 CSR 100-8.040 (effective July 30, 2008). The subsection dealing with policy records is 20 CSR 100-8.040(3)(A), which states that a policy record file must be maintained for each policy issued for the duration of the current policy term plus two calendar years.  That subsection also outlines what documents are considered "policy records." The subsection for claims files is 20 CSR 100-8.040(3)(B), which states that the entity must maintain its claims documentation for the calendar year in which the claim was closed plus three years. Subsection 20 CSR 100-8.040(3)(C) covers records relating to the insurer's compliance with licensing requirements, and subsection 20 CSR 100-8.040(3)(D) discusses complaint records. 

In any event, records must be kept in such detail that pertinent events and the dates of the events can be reconstructed by the Department and must be maintained in such a manner to that the claims handling and payment, complaint handling, termination, rating, underwriting, and marketing of the insurer can be readily ascertained by the Department. 

For a more detailed explanation of the regulation, please read the full regulation. It can be accessed at           http://s1.sos.mo.gov/cmsimages/adrules/csr/current/20csr/20c100-8.pdf.

What are the CMS rules for soliciting Medicare Advantage and prescription drug plans?

This document from CMS lists prohibited and appropriate agent/broker behavior.

What are the suitability standards that I should consider when discussing life insurance, long-term care or annuities with my clients?

Download DCI's Suitability publication.

Email us.