Topics for Consumers
- Agent/Agency Search
- Autism Insurance Resources
- Consumer Complaints
- Earthquake Insurance
- Glossary of Terms (Alphabetical)
- Glossary of Terms (Categorized)
- Insurance Company Search
- Life & Annuities
- Long-Term Care
- Medical Loss Ratio Hearing
- Severe Weather
- Small Business
- Workers' Compensation
- Vehicle Service Contracts
Missouri Department of Commerce & Insurance
Harry S Truman State Office Building
301 W. High St., Room 530, Jefferson City, MO 65101
PO Box 690
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0690
Correspondence with fees:
PO Box 4001
Jefferson City, MO 65102-4001
Main Office Phone Number: (573) 751-4126
Map to Office
Consumer Complaint Index
The DIFP complaint index measures how many complaints the department received for a consecutive three-year period relative to the amount of product-specific premium a Missouri licensed company experienced that same period. For instance, if a company issues both homeowners and automobile insurance policies, the data would be segmented into a homeowner complaint index and an automobile complaint index.
The higher the index number, the worse the complaint record:
- 100 percent means that the department received the normally expected number of complaints about that company.
- 99 percent or less indicates the company was the subject of less than the normally expected number of complaints.
- More than 100 percent shows the department received more than the normally expected number of complaints about that company.
The DIFP encourages consumers to use the complaint index as a "tiebreaker" in choosing an insurance policy - after carefully considering individual insurance needs, benefits, premium costs, service and other factors in your purchasing decision. You can also search complaints by reason.
The complaint index compares the ratio of complaints to premium sales for each company to the industry average, for each line of business. The formula is:
2017 Auto Complaint Index
An index of 100 is considered average
|Company Name||Annual Premium Volume 2017||Market Share 2017||Number of Complaints 2017||Complaint Index|
|GEICO CASUALTY COMPANY||$ 167,301,884||4.47%||120||123|
|GEICO GENERAL INS CO||$ 30,698,290||0.82%||18||100|
|GEICO INDEMNITY COMPANY||$ 13,081,952||0.35%||10||131|
|Subtotal for Selection:||5.63%||148|
|Total for Entire Auto Market:||100.00%||2200|