Navigators Licensing Requirements and Application
Senate Bill 262 was signed into law on July 12, 2013. The bill includes provisions requiring the licensure of navigators in Missouri, which became effective immediately. This new law authorizes the department to license and regulate individual navigators and navigator entities in Missouri. An entity or insurance producer licensed to sell health insurance in Missouri is not required to be licensed as a navigator. Below are the forms needed to submit license applications to the department. More information will be added to this webpage as available.
To qualify for an individual navigator license, you must satisfy these requirements:
- Be 18 or older.
- Reside in Missouri or maintain a principal place of business in Missouri.
- Not be disqualified for having committed any act that would be grounds for refusal to issue, renew, suspend or revoke an insurance producer license.
- Successfully pass the examination prescribed by the director.
- When applicable, have the written consent of the director of the Missouri Department of Insurance under 18 U.S.C. §1033 or any successor statute regulating crimes by or affecting persons engaged in the business of insurance whose activities affect interstate commerce.
- Have identified the entity with which he or she is affiliated and supervised.
- Have paid the fees prescribed by the director.
Licensed Navigators in Missouri
To check the license of a navigator or a producer, click here.
Some tips on using the Licensee Look-up Database
- Select individual or entity in the "Licensee Type" pull-down menu.
- Enter the name of the navigator or agent or name of the business entity in the corresponding fields.
- Use the "License Type" pull-down to select "navigator" or "producer" for an insurance agent.
- Click "submit" as the bottom of the screen to generate your search results.
Individuals applying for license as a navigator will be required to pass an exam before being issued a license. Pearson VUE will administer the test in Columbia, Overland Park, Springfield, St. Louis and Kansas City. Candidates who wish to make an exam reservation should call 866-274-4740. Before making a reservation, candidates should review the Missouri Navigator Licensing Candidate Handbook. The handbook is useful in preparing for the examination and it is recommended that the content outline be reviewed prior to taking the exam.
Navigator Continuing Education Forms
- Navigator Continuing Education Certification Summary
- Continuing Education Certificate of Course Completion (Navigator)
- Navigator Continuing Education Provider Application for Course Approval
Navigator Continuing Education Courses (by provider):
-- go to adbanker.com
-- click on “Continuing Education” in the header
-- under “Choose your state:”, select Missouri
-- choose online and select the subscription or individual package (licensees preference)
-- click on the “Navigator” tab
-- choose the course you would like to take
For other options (classroom courses, etc.), or if you have questions, please contact A.D. Banker at 1-800-866-2468.
Navigator Continuing Education courses that may be taken towards the ethics and Missouri law requirement can be found using the Continuing Education Provider Lookup
-- choose “Ethics/Suitability, Missouri Law, Duties/Obligations to the Department (EL)”
-- choose the type of method of training wanted (Note: ethics courses are not available in every type of method)
-- click the “Search” button
-- the list of on-screen providers will contain links to their approved ethics courses on the far right
-- a licensee will need to contact the provider to schedule taking a particular course
Navigator Licensing Laws