Topics for Consumers
Don't understand your insurance policy? Do you think you have been treated unfairly by your insurance company, agent, broker or agency? The department welcomes any questions or complaints you may have.
In 2012, the Department of Insurance helped consumers receive over $10.6 million in claims payments from their insurance companies. Our team handled 3851 formal complaints, 9,240 Written Inquiries and assisted another 22,411 consumers over the telephone.
The topics below offer consumer tips and frequently asked questions on many different types of insurance. You can also email us or call the Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-726-7390.
- Glossary of terms, use of credit history, mandatory coverage and more.
- Explanation of this investment product sold by insurance companies.
- Find an insurance agent or agency, check license status and enforcement history.
- Resources for parents, insurers and health care providers.
- File a complaint on an insurer or agent.
- What it covers, how to file claims.
- Frequently asked questions about auto, homeowners, workers' comp and other insurance.
- Frequently used terms about auto, homeowners, workers' comp and other insurance.
- Options for getting your medical expenses covered, including Missouri's high-risk pools.
- HMO service areas, frequently asked questions and complaint information.
- Availability, home inventory checklist, worksheets and questions to ask when shopping for insurance, preparing for severe weather, credit report use and more.
- Find insurers, what kind of insurance they offer and how much business they do.
- Explanations of the types of life insurance.
- Insurance coverage for consumers needing help with daily activities like bathing and dressing.
- Insurance company market actions.
- Consumer information on vehicle service contracts.
- Order any of our published guides.
- List of insurance companies in receivership.
- Costs, what is and is not covered, worksheets and questions to ask when shopping for insurance, home inventory checklist and more.
- What you need to know in preparing for and responding to damaging storms.
- Explanation of insurance available for the unique needs of your business.
- Learn how insurance affects your life.
- Rate guide, frequently asked questions, assigned risk rates, contractors credit program and more.