Agent/Producer Continuing Education Requirements

Once a producer receives a license, that producer must satisfy continuing education requirements. These biennial requirements for a resident producer are:

Authority Hours Course Type
Life and/or Health* 16 Life/Health and/or general credit
Property and/or Casualty* 16 Property/Casualty and/or general credit
Life and/or Health and Property and/or Casualty* 16 Any combination
Title 8 Title

* Such requirement shall include at least three hours of instruction in insurance ethics.

Missouri resident producers must complete courses approved by the Missouri Insurance Department. Courses must be completed during the biennium to which they are to be applied. The CE provider is required to submit the producer course information electronically.

CE hours may be verified at SBS Connect.

Nonresident producer’s license status will be verified through PDB as proof of continuing education compliance (PDB Participating State Report at A certification letter from the producer's home state is not required.

Long-term Care Training Requirement

Qualified Long-term Care Insurance Policies

Among the provisions of Senate Bill 577 (SB 577), the “Missouri Long-term Care Partnership Program Act” was established and will be administered by the Missouri Department of Social Services in conjunction with the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration (DCI). The program is designed to:

  • Provide incentives for individuals to insure against the cost of providing for their long-term care needs;
  • Provide a mechanism for individuals to qualify for coverage of the cost of their long-term care needs under the Missouri HeathNet program without first being required to substantially exhaust their resources; and
  • Alleviate the financial burden to the Missouri HeathNet program by encouraging the pursuit of private initiatives.

SB 577 requires that the DCI director develop requirements to ensure that any individual who sells a qualified long-term care insurance partnership policy receives training and demonstrates evidence of an understanding of such policies and how they relate to other public and private coverage of long-term care. As such, the DCI director will author regulations establishing guidelines for training and a standard of continuing education for licensed insurance producers who sell qualified long-term care policies. Qualified long-term care policies are those that are approved and certified by the DCI director as meeting the requirements of:

  • The National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ Long-term Care Insurance Model Act and Regulation as specified in 42 U.S.C. 1917(b); and
  • The provisions of Section 6021 of the Federal Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

With the passage of this law, licensed insurance producers selling, soliciting, or negotiating Qualified Long-term Care Partnership Policies must receive training regarding such policies and demonstrate an evidence of an understanding of the policies. Those producers will be required to complete eight (8) hours of initial basic training specific to Partnership policies before selling such policies and receive at least four (4) hours of continuing education regarding such policies during each two-year renewal period thereafter. That training and continuing education must be received via classes pre-approved by the DCI as meeting the requirements for sufficient content.

Please note that all licensed producers (resident, nonresident, and those over the age of 70) will be required to meet the eight (8) hours of initial basic training. Missouri resident and those residents of nonresident states who do not have a mandatory LTC requirement will be required to comply with the four (4) hours of continuing education in Missouri.

Provider Course Application

Continuing Education Provider Application for Course Approval

NAIC Uniform Continuing Education Reciprocity Course Filing Form and Instructions, if applicable, is to be used by the home state CE provider when filing a new course in a reciprocal state. A copy of the home state approval form must be attached.