06-01: Motor Vehicle Title Procedure
To: Missouri Property & Casualty Insurers
From: W. Dale Finke, Director, Missouri Department of Insurance
Re: Motor Vehicle Title Procedure
Date: March 13, 2006
The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) has notified the Missouri Department of Insurance of new procedures regarding vehicle titles. Effective March 13, 2006, DOR will issue a new title for motor vehicles, trailers, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and manufactured homes.
The Department of Revenue will issue two basic title documents:
- A green certificate of title for motor vehicles, trailers, all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and manufactured homes that contains a Notice of Sale (NOS) attachment; and
- A blue certificate of title for boats and outboard motors that contains a blank tear-off that may be discarded.
Each title is 7" wide and 8" inches high and the NOS/blank tear-off is 7" wide and 3" high. The portrait of Harry S Truman is no longer on the title; however, the oval shaped heat-sensitive security ring remains.
CERTIFICATES OF TITLE REFERENCE:
Green Motor Vehicle Certificate of Title
(Go to http://www.dorx.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/liendeal/titledocs/greenmotor.pdf to see a sample motor vehicle title.)
- Mechanic Lien
- Prior Salvage
Green Salvage Certificate of Title
(Go to http://www.dorx.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/liendeal/titledocs/greensalvage.pdf to see a sample salvage title.) (Previously, the salvage title was orange.)
Only two assignments may be made on a salvage title. The Notice of Sale should not be completed on salvage titles. Title penalties do not apply.
Green Junking Certificate
(Go to http://www.dorx.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/liendeal/titledocs/greenjunk.pdf to see a sample junking certificate.) (Previously, the junking certificate was brown.)
Only the following information must be recorded on a junking certificate assignment:
- Purchaser's name and address;
- Date of sale; and
- Signature of all sellers.
The Notice of Sale should not be completed on junking certificates. Junking Certificates cannot have liens and are not subject to taxes and title penalties.
Blue Marine Certificate of Title
(Go to http://www.dorx.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/liendeal/titledocs/bluemarine.pdf to see a sample marine title.)
- Mechanic Lien
- Salvage/Abandoned - Issued only on abandoned marine units
The marine title contains a blank tear-off in lieu of an NOS.
- Titles will contain a tear-off Notice of Sale (NOS) (DOR-5049A) attachment. The DOR-5049A will make it easier for motorists to report the sale of their vehicle to the department. The vehicle information will be preprinted on the DOR-5049A at the time the title is printed to simplify the process.
- If the vehicle is sold to a Missouri dealer, the dealer will complete the DOR-5049A form at the time the vehicle is sold to a retail purchaser. If the dealer files their sales electronically, the form is not required to be completed.