2014 Health Insurance Updates
What's Ahead for 2014
Generally, health insurance companies:
- Cannot deny or refuse to renew your coverage solely because of pre-existing health conditions.
- Cannot charge a higher premium because of your gender or health condition.
- Cannot deny coverage for medical services provided using telehealth if those services are covered when provided in person.
- Cannot put annual or lifetime dollar limits on essential health benefits.
How you can get health insurance coverage:
- Contact your insurance agent or agency, a navigator or the federal health insurance exchange to learn more about your coverage options.
- The federal health insurance exchange began enrollment on Oct. 1, 2013.
- Individuals and families who can’t afford coverage can check for financial assistance when they shop in the federal health insurance exchange.
- Based on state law, the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration (DIFP) cannot help operate the federal health insurance exchange in Missouri. The federal government will run this exchange.
- Before sharing personal information, make sure your agent or navigator is licensed. Go to insurance.mo.gov.
Find more information on the federal health insurance exchange:
- Call 800-318-2596
- Visit healthcare.gov
For navigator information, visit insurance.mo.gov/otherlicensees/navigators.php.
For more information about your insurance policy, call DIFP’s Insurance Consumer Hotline or go online: